The MRT Train or Manila Metro Rail Transit has been the more popular means of transport by most filipno road travellers thru EDSA. Its a faster and more economical way of riding thru the cities along EDSA (Epifanio Delos Santos Avenue).
More than ten million commuters use the MRT stations as mode of transportation every month, with an about half a million passengers every month. The MRT is composed of 13 stations which goes thru five (5) cities such as Quezon City, Pasig Mandaluyong, and Pasay)
MRT Operating Schedule :
During Weekdays (Monday to Friday) – The MRT service operates from 5:00 AM until 11:00 PM only. This operating schedule happens on a daily basis and the MRT trains arrive within 3 to 5 minute intervals.
On Weekends (Saturday & Sunday) – The MRT operating service schedule begins from 5:00 AM up to 11:00 PM with 3 – 5 minute MRT train arrival.
The MRT stations are listed as North Avenue, Quezon Avenue, GMA Kamuning, Araneta Center-Cubao, Santolan-Annapolis, Ortigas Avenue, Shaw Boulevard, Boni, Guadalupe, Buendia, Ayala, Magallanes, and Taft Avenue.
The MRT ticket fare price ranges from Php 10 up to Php 15 depending on how many MRT stations you pass going to your destination.
Here is an example of the FARE Matrix used in MRT Stations :
Taft Avenue to Ayala – 10 pesos
Taft Ave to Quezon/North Ave – 15 pesos
North/Quezon Ave to GMA Kamuning – 10 pesos
North/Quezon Avenue to Magallanes or Taft – 15 pesos
Single Journey Fares and Stored Value (SVT) tickets :
– Single Journey (One-Time Use) magnetic card tickets can only be used one time.
– Stored Value Ticket (SVT) is a multiple use magnetic card that can store a peso value of up to Php 100 that can last you a week depending on you daily travel distance.
MRT CCTV live feed video cameras:
As additional security measure, management installed MRT CCTV cameras in all 13 MRT Stations that records daily live feeds that you can access thru the internet live streaming or on downloaded apps on your mobile phone and tablets. You can now see whatever happens in each MRT station in real time thru the CCTV live video cameras.
Safety Precautions & Guidelines when Riding the MRT or Manila Metro Rail Transit :
1. There is a separate train coach for women, disabled and senior citizens (usually the located on the 1st part) to prevent any form of sexual or physical harassment.
2. For security of all, some things are not permitted to be brought inside the platform.
– inflated balloons, large luggages, any open bottles or cans,
– quantity of fluids such as chemicals, pesticides, and gasolines
– pointed objects
3. Anybody under the influence of restricted drugs or alcohol or insane are not allowed to ride the LRT 1. These persons may cause some harm to the innocent passengers.
4. You are responsible for all your belongings, specially valuables such as wallets and jewelry. Do not leave them unattended.
For further questions, informations or clarification, check out the Manila Metro Rail Transit website. You may also contact the MRT Hotline numbers.